Our Core Values and Competitive Advantages
It may be easy to assume that when working with a large company you will not receive the same intimate level of customer service that a smaller company could provide you. However, at Penhall company, we feel that our growth has not taken away from our ability to interact closely with customers, but rather has added to it.
What We Have To Offer To Your Projects:
- We have been in business for 60 years and in that time we have become known as the most trusted provider of concrete cutting, coring, demolition, excavation, highway and bridge services, GPR scanning, X-Ray and seismic retrofit services in North America. Over the years, while our service line has expanded our commitment to excellence and quality customer service has remained the priority of our company.
- In our seismic retrofit department, we take our customer’s satisfaction very seriously. There is no project too big or too small for our seismic retrofit team. Each member of our team serves a pivotal role in your project’s process. Whether it is through our project managers or client support team – we make every effort to provide service that exceeds your expectations.Your questions and concerns are valid and extremely important to us, which is why our team makes themselves available to you around the clock to ensure that your project is taken care of.
- We are proud of our company’s history and are extremely excited to be apart of the seismic retrofit process in California and beyond. Above all, it is our firm belief that seismic retrofitting is an extremely important process that should only be carried out with the utmost expertise and care- which is why we like to say that we retrofit with a purpose. Every single job we do is important to us and we hope that you will keep Penhall Company Seismic Retrofit Services in mind for your design-build retrofitting needs.
- We have kept updated with technologies in the industry for structural strengthening and improvement. We are excited to be a certified applicator of Tyfo® Fibrwrap®. Learn more about the implications of this technology through our interview with Scott Arnold, the Director of Engineering Solutions for Fyfe Co, LLC
Past Projects That We Worked On To Help Alleviate Earthquake Damage
- The 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake will forever be embedded in the minds of those who experienced it, as well as those who participated in the cleanup of the quake. Team members of the Penhall Company from all over the country responded after this tragic event to help clear the wreckage caused by the collapse of the 880 Cypress Freeway. This collapse has been described as “the worst disaster of the quake” and many people tragically lost their lives as a result. The timing of this quake is thought to have saved the lives of many, since it occurred during the third game of the 1989 World Series. If not for this event it is estimated that there would have been many more people on the road, especially on the Cypress Freeway. After the quake, Penhall Company employees worked tirelessly for weeks to clear the area where the Cypress Street ramp of Interstate 880 once stood. Many of our employees saw first hand the horrendous impact that earthquakes can have through their aid in the recovery of victims. These experiences explain in part why we as a company are so passionate about the seismic retrofit process
- Less than five years after Loma Prieta, Penhall employees responded to the aftermath of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. This 6.7 magnitude quake shook the San Fernando Valley early in the morning on January 17th and was felt as far out as Las Vegas. It is estimated that over 20 billion dollars worth of damage was done, as a result of the commercial, residential buildings and freeway ramps that crumbled. Many of the responding staff were locals that were personally affected by the quake. Both of these earthquakes changed the lives of both the affected citizens and the Penhall team. So it is with this knowledge that we must commit ourselves to preparing properly in the event of another major earthquake.
Penhall Company Seismic Services offers earthquake retrofitting that is dedicated to saving lives, because ultimately we know that the high quality seismic retrofitting of buildings affects us all. Elizabeth Wilson, Penhall’s Director of Seismic Services, often says that “we retrofit with a purpose”. We have seen first hand the devastation of these quakes and we are driven by our dedication to excellence. Penhall Company continues to holds itself to a higher standard; from our quality control measures to our customer service, we value integrity in business and safety first.
Tragedies such as those experienced during the Loma Prieta and Northridge Earthquake can be avoided by being proactive and choosing to make your building compliant to the seismic ordinances in your city. Although it is painful to think about these past earthquakes and the loss that many people experienced, it serves as a necessary reminder. We are reminded of the importance of using today’s construction advances to promote the safety of property and most importantly life.
Penhall At Seismic Community Event – Exhibit at the 2nd Annual Los Angeles Seismic Retrofit Fair.
The bustle of the room grew louder as local property owners from Los Angeles started to arrive at the 2nd Annual Los Angeles Seismic Retrofit Fair. The tables were a buzz as vendors engaged with the locals.
The fair that took place April 17th, 2017 in Los Angeles and was designed to have all the information and vendors in one place for seismic retrofitting. In the eyes of the community it seemed it was a success.
Penhall Company Seismic Retrofit Services was proud to be present to discuss retrofit needs one on one with customers. The energy in the room was good, while not all owners were thrilled about the mandatory ordinance most seemed to be positive. In the end it seems a lot of folks just want the city safer in the event of a major earthquake and this event helped people get closer to their goal of compliance.
Penhall was proud to sit and speak with each potential customer about their concerns and retrofits including timelines, costs and tenant support. Our 60 years servicing the local community is a testament to our commitment to high quality and fair priced engineering services.
Read more about the Seismic Retrofit Work Program